Sunday, September 14, 2014

Phnom Penh and Prey Veng


 I can't believe I've been in Cambodia for more than a week. I also can't believe it's been only a little more than a week. I spent the first week in Phnom Penh, getting oriented to MCC Cambodia and to the city, then I spent the last few days out in Prey Veng.

Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh is different than any other city I've ever been it. It's very.. hectic. The streets are super narrow and dirty. The buildings are really close to the roads, with big fences and gates, and each building varies drastically from the next. There'll be a big multi-story new looking building next to a tiny tin roofed shack. There are always cars and bikes and countless motos driving in every direction. I haven't figured out geography yet. I'm normally pretty good at geography, but this city has me constantly feeling lost.
Prey Veng

Prey Veng is a town out in the country. It's a beautiful town, with grass and trees everywhere, only a few of the road are paved. It is surrounded by rice fields, which are flooded this time of year.

I went out to Prey Veng with this year's group of SALTers, MCC Cambodia's Yamen participant, and their Program Coordinators. While there I stayed with two of MCCs Service Workers. We explored the town, climbed a very small mountain, visited a Wat, had Khmer BBQ, tried dog meat, visited Monkey Island, got an introductory moto driving lesson, and talked and talked. It was interesting to get a quick glimpse into rural Cambodian life. I hope to be able to visit Prey Veng again soon.

Ba Phnom
Later today, I am moving in my host family, who I'll live with for two months. Then tomorrow morning I start Khmer (pronounced ka-mai) lessons. Here's looking forward to a busy, intense week.

No comments:

Post a Comment