Thursday, August 21, 2014

Here we go again

Sometimes I think there must be something wrong with me. These times tend to be when I meet someone and have to answer the question "So, what do you do?" or when I tell my friends what's going on with me. I mean, who gets back to the States after living in Jordan for a year and a month later leaves to go to Cambodia for three years?

Apparently, I do.

I returned from Jordan on July 22th and in the first week of August I  accepted another term with Mennonite Central Committee this time in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. I am the Peace Program Support Worker, and I have committed to a three year term. For the first few month of my term I will be doing intensive language study (in Khmer), and living in a homestay. After that I will begin my work with two Cambodian NGOs, Women Peacemakers (WPM) and Returnee Integration Support Center for Conflict Reduction (RISC). WPM works with women who have been victims of domestic violence or rape. RISC works with former refugees returning to Cambodia.

I leave on September 3rd, and will be landing in Phnom Penh 25 hours (and two layovers) later. I get to attend my first MCC Cambodia staff meeting on September 8th. I hope I'm awake by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment