Thursday, December 11, 2014

Moving Out


Hanging out on my balcony
Moving into my first apartment didn't involve searching for the perfect furniture, or picking up a free old sofa on the street, or getting sheets and towels from my mom. Instead moving into my first apartment involved searching through the Reps' house for furniture and housewares left over from former MCCers. This meant that after the big move I realized I had an abundance of some things (40 dinner plates, anyone?), a lack of some necessary items (why are there no extension cords?), and a collection of things that I don't know how to use or are not useful for me (anyone need to know how to store breast milk?). All in all though, moving out on my own has been just as much of a wacky experience as I expected it to be.


View at sunset from my balcony
I knew coming in that I was only going to be living with my amazing host family for two months, and despite loving them with all my heart I was ready to know the sound of silence again. Near the end of October, Denise helped me look for my own apartment. Back home apartment hunting would involve looking on Craigslist and other websites. Here in Cambodia, it meant driving around the city looking for "For Rent" signs. Denise and I spent several hours riding around on her moto trying to find an affordable and nice place. After looking at or inquiring about 14 different places, we decided to head back to the office and call it a day. We took one of the back roads, and noticed another "For Rent" sign. We decided to check it out.


Current bedroom decorations
The landlady came out to meet us and agreed to show us the apartments. She explained that they were just finishing renovating the house. The third and fourth floor were completely redone, and each floor was one apartment. We first checked out the apartment on the third floor. It was very nice. A little over budget though, and I really had no need for a second bedroom. So, we asked to see the one bedroom apartment on the fourth floor. I was skeptical from the moment I saw the stairs- it was basically a ladder placed at an angle. Then we stepped into the apartment. It was beautiful! A big open main room to be used as a kitchen and living room, a spacious bedroom with double doors out to the wrap around balcony, white tile flooring, lovely seafoam green walls, and lots of light throughout. Denise and I kept looking at each other with expressions that clearly said, "This is it!" We had an appointment to see another apartment the next day, so it was a few days before I could officially agree to rent to the place.


Elephants in my kitchen
Two weeks later, with the assistance of the Reps and several MCC employees, I moved into my apartment. I've been living there for almost a month now, and I love it. I'm still in the process of making it feel like home, but it's coming along and I have big plans (ok not that big, creative decorating is not my strong suit, I just want some plants and lamps and stuff).

Make-shift curtain until they're made
Living alone is very different from anything I've ever done before, and a lot quieter than living with a host family, but I am truly enjoying it. Hopefully the alone time will encourage me to actually pick up some hobbies (goals include sewing and yoga, but neither have made any headway yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment